15-Minute Crepes with Caramelized Bananas and Nutella
Yield 6 stuffed crepes
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup whole or 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons water or sparkling water i.e. LaCroix, Perrier, or club soda
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted and cooled for the crepes, plus 1 ½ tablespoons more butter for the caramelized bananas, plus a little more butter for oiling the pan
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- Optional – ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 bananas
- 1 ½ tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons Nutella
- Optional -powdered sugar for sprinkling, crushed hazelnuts for topping
- In a small bowl, combine the milk, soda or water, egg, sugar, cooled melted butter, vanilla, pinch of salt, and lemon zest, if using. Blend in a blender or whisk until smooth. You should see tiny bubbles in the batter.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let stand for 30 minutes or in the refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Pour the batter into a pitcher or other container with a pouring lip. Place a small, 6-inch-ish non-stick skillet over medium heat. Coat the pan with a little butter on a paper towel.
- Stir the batter and pour about 1-2 tablespoons into the center of the pan. Lift the pan off the heat and tilt and rotate it, so that the batter spreads and forms a very thin even layer.
- Cook until the top is set and the edges are a little crispy, 2-3 minutes.
- Use a small spatula or your fingers (be careful) to turn the crepe over and cook until the second side is lightly browned (30 seconds to 1 minute). Remove the crepe to a plate. Continue cooking the rest of the crepes, buttering the pan and stirring the batter every other crepe.
- Stack the finished crepes between sheets of wax or parchment paper.
- Caramelize the bananas: In the same skillet you used for the crepes, melt 1 ½ tablespoons butter. Add the sliced bananas and dark brown sugar. Cook over medium heat until golden and syrupy, about 3-5 minutes.
- Fill the crepes with the caramelized bananas and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Place the Nutella in the corner of a small food-safe plastic bag. Microwave a few seconds until the Nutella is more liquidy. Cut a small hole in the corner of the bag and drizzle the Nutella over the crepes. Top with chopped nuts if desired.
- Double this recipe to make 10-12 small crepes. Refrigerate the extras for a week or freeze (with parchment or wax paper between the crepes) for one month.
- I used lemon-flavored La Croix sparkling water. You can use plain water or sparkling water in this recipe.
- The nutrition analysis for this recipe is for two servings, of three small, 6-inch, banana-stuffed crepes per person.
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 21 g
Saturated Fat 14 g
Cholesterol 134 mg
Sodium 60 mg
Total Carbohydrates 59 g
Dietary Fiber 4 g
Protein 8 g
Recipe by Empty Nest Eats at https://emptynesteats.com/15-minute-crepes-with-caramelized-bananas-and-nutella/