Buffalo Cauliflower Bites
Yield 4-6 servings
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil, any kind
- 3/4 cup flour or gluten-free flour blend
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked or sweet paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Sauce (see below)
- 2/3 cup Frank’s Red Hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Combine 1 teaspoon each melted butter and cooking oil. Spread onto a baking sheet. (This will help the cauliflower brown.) If you have a lot of cauliflower, prepare two baking sheets.
- Divide cauliflower into bite sized chunks.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, water, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper and salt until well combined.
- Pat coating onto cauliflower chunks and place chunks onto the prepared baking sheet. Don’t overlap or crowd the chunks! Use two prepared baking sheets if you need to. Note – if you’re in a hurry, you can toss the cauliflower pieces in the bowl of coating but I find that if I do it that way I run out of coating and some pieces have way too much coating (which makes them soggy) while others have hardly any.)
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, turning once halfway through cooking time. Remove from oven.
- In large bowl, combine hot sauce and 2 tablespoons melted butter. Add partially cooked cauliflower and gently toss to evenly coat. Return cauliflower to baking sheet and continue cooking for an additional 20-30 minutes, turning once, until pieces start to brown and get crispy.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately with your favorite sauce of choice.
- This is NOT a low-sodium recipe because the Frank's Hot sauce is high in salt. To lower the sodium choose a different kind of hot sauce to spice up your cauliflower bites. Original Tabasco sauce is lower in sodium.
Recipe by Empty Nest Eats at https://emptynesteats.com/buffalo-cauliflower-bites/