Chocolate-Dipped Coconut Macaroons
Yield 20 cookies
Perfectly chewy, delicate, and delicious, it’s hard to stop and one.
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk (reserve the rest)
- 2 teaspoons clear imitation vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- One 14-ounce bag sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 ounces chocolate chips (milk, dark or semi-sweet)
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- In a large bowl, combine the condensed milk, vanilla and almond extract. Stir in the coconut.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites and salt until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the egg whites into the coconut mixture.
- Spoon (or use a cookie scoop) lightly packed 1 ½ -inch balls of the mixture onto the baking sheets, 1 inch apart.
- Bake until golden brown. You should begin checking the color around 12 minutes. Don't forget to check the bottoms too. How long you cook them depends on how big you make the macaroons! Little ones take 10-12 minutes, bigger ones take 12-18 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes on the baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Microwave the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl in 30-second increments, stirring after each, until melted.
- Dip the bottoms of the macaroons in the chocolate, scrape off any excess. Place back on the parchment and let cool at room temperature or in the fridge. These can be kept at room temperature for about 3 days or in the fridge for up to a week. Makes 20 small macaroons.
- If you want to make a small batch, this recipe divides in half very nicely.
Recipe by Empty Nest Eats at https://emptynesteats.com/chocolate-dipped-coconut-macaroons/