Citrus-Ricotta French Toast Pancakes
Yield 8 pancakes
A citrusy merge of French toast and a perfectly cooked pancake.
- 1/2 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour (I used Pamela’s Baking and Pancake Mix)
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- Pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 medium eggs, separated
- 1 ½ cups low-fat ricotta cheese
- ¼ teaspoon orange extract
- zest of 1-2 medium oranges
- butter or coconut oil for grilling
- Separate eggs and measure out all your ingredients.
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, in a large mixing bowl, mix together the ricotta cheese, baking soda, salt, orange zest and egg yolks and orange extract until thoroughly combined. Stir in the gluten free flour and set aside. Thoroughly wash and dry the beaters.
- In a medium-size, clean, dry, cold mixing bowl, using the electric mixer again, beat the egg whites until they begin to form medium-soft (not stiff) peaks. Note: Put the bowl and in the refrigerator to cool 15-20 minutes before using. This will help the egg whites hold their peaks.
- Slowly and carefully fold the beaten egg whites into the ricotta mixture until well-combined. It’s important to slowly incorporate the egg whites into the batter or the pancakes will not be as light in texture.
- Heat a griddle, cast-iron skillet, or non-stick pan over medium-high heat. The cooking surface is ready when a drop of water sizzles away completely. Lower the heat to medium and place enough butter (or coconut oil) to coat the griddle or bottom of pan.
- Slowly drop the batter onto the griddle or pan using ½ cup measuring cup.
- Don’t overcrowd the pan or griddle. The pancakes will begin to set-up around the edges and puff up creating little bubbles on the surface of the entire pancake, not just around the edges.
- Flip the pancake over and cook another 1-2 minutes. Repeat until remaining batter is completely used.
- You can keep the pancakes warm in the oven at 150-200°F while you finish making the rest of the pancakes.
- Serve with your favorite pancake topping. One serving is two pancakes.
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 19 g
Saturated Fat 10 g
Cholesterol 319 mg
Sodium 355 mg
Total Carbohydrates 26 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Protein 21 g
Recipe by Empty Nest Eats at https://emptynesteats.com/citrus-ricotta-french-toast-pancakes/