Cranberry-Almond Rice with Kale and Apples
Yield 3 servings
- 1 ½ cups cooked brown basmati rice, cooled to room temperature
- 1 tablespoon Olive Cart, Lemon Avocado Oil, or plain olive oil or avocado oil
- 2 teaspoons white balsamic vinegar
- ¼ fresh lemon, juiced (*see note below)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3-4 leaves, Dinosaur/Lacinato Kale, de-stemmed and sliced very thin, chiffonade-style
- 2-3 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons toasted sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons diced green onion
- 1 small apple, cored and diced
- Optional – 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the rice in a pot or rice cooker using this ratio: 2 parts brown basmati rice to 1 ½ parts water or broth.
- When the cooking time is over, immediately remove the lid from the pot or rice cooker and let the steam begin to escape. Using a fork, gently toss the rice every few minutes, for a total of 15 minutes, allowing more and more steam to escape. This helps the rice grains remain separate and not sticky or clumpy. Do not stir the rice over and over again. Just toss it gently to let as much steam escape as possible. You need 1 ½ cups of cooked rice for this recipe.
- In a small bowl whisk together the oil, vinegar, salt, and fresh lemon juice.
- Place the room temperature rice in a medium-size bowl. Add the chopped kale, green onions, diced apple, toasted almonds, fresh parsley (if using) and vinaigrette dressing, from step 3. Combine gently.
- Finish with a few grinds of freshly ground black pepper.
- * In this recipe I used Lemon Avocado Oil, from our local Olive Cart You can substitute either plain olive oil or another oil such as canola oil or plain avocado oil. If you use the Lemon Avocado Oil you may need to reduce or omit the fresh lemon juice to suit your taste.
- Other things I would add to this if they were in my fridge: sliced radishes, chopped spinach, ripe pear chunks, diced English cucumber, shelled edamame, defrosted frozen peas and maybe a little crumbled goat cheese.
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 7 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Sodium 210 mg
Total Carbohydrates 34 g
Dietary Fiber 4 g
Protein 4 g
Recipe by Empty Nest Eats at https://emptynesteats.com/cranberry-almond-rice-with-kale-and-apples/