Double Chocolate Tahini-Zucchini Muffins
Yield 12 muffins
- ½ cup grated zucchini (about 1-½ of a medium size zucchini, grated), extra moisture squeezed out (see Step 2 below)
- 3 eggs
- 2 medium-size very ripe bananas, mashed well
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup tahini
- ¾ teaspoon instant coffee, instant espresso, or espresso powder (see Note below)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup ground flax seed (flax seed meal)
- ¼ cup plus two tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips (dairy-free if you wish) plus a few extra for Step 6, below
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners or grease the pan with non-stick spray.
- After you grate the zucchini, place in paper towel and squeeze out extra moisture. This helps your muffins from becoming too wet.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the zucchini (from step 2 above), eggs, mashed bananas, tahini, maple syrup, instant espresso powder, and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: almond flour, flaxseed meal, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- Gently stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until JUST combined. Do not use an electric mixture. Combine gently. When well-combined, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups/liners until about 3/4 of the way full. Sprinkle a few extra chocolate chips on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 22-24 minutes, or until muffins are set and a toothpick inserted near the center of one comes out batter-free (melted chocolate is okay).
- Allow the muffins to cool in the pan for 3-5 minutes, then remove and finish cooling on a wire rack.
- Store leftovers loosely covered at room temperature for one day or in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. These muffins will freeze well if tightly wrapped in plastic for up to three months.
If you do not have instant espresso, instant coffee, or espresso powder you can omit it. The muffins will still taste very good; just not as rich.
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 19 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 47 mg
Sodium 146 mg
Total Carbohydrates 20 g
Dietary Fiber 5 g
Protein 10 g
Recipe by Empty Nest Eats at https://emptynesteats.com/double-chocolate-tahini-and-zucchini-muffins-gluten-free/