Easy Pickled Onions
Yield 6 servings
- 1-2 medium red onions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup distilled white vinegar
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ tablespoons honey
- 1 ½ teaspoons sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Pack the onions into an 8-ounce glass jar or container. Put the jar in the sink to catch any spills.
- In a small saucepan, combine the water, both vinegars, honey, salt, and pepper flakes. Stir well. Bring the mixture to a gentle simmer over medium heat.
- Carefully pour the hot liquid into the jar over the onions.
- Press the onions down into the vinegar.
- If you want to eat them right away, let cool 20-30 minutes at room temperature, then eat. To eat later, cover and refrigerate for 2-3 weeks.
- The sodium content will vary depending on how much of the pickling liquid you consume. Nutrition analysis is an estimate of sodium content based on analysis of the entire recipe, including the pickling liquid divided by six servings.
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Sodium 200 mg
Total Carbohydrates 9 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Protein 1 g
Recipe by Empty Nest Eats at https://emptynesteats.com/easy-pickled-onions/