Instant Pot (or not) Beef and Cabbage Soup
Yield 8 servings
- 1 pound 90% lean ground beef
- 1-1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (I use Diamond Crystal)
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2, 14.5 oz. cans diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 5 cups chopped green cabbage
- 4 cups beef stock, canned
- 2 bay leaves
- Press the sauté button on your pressure cooker. When hot spray with non-stick spray.
- Add the ground beef and salt and cook until the meat has browned. Cook, stirring occasionally for 3-4 minutes; break the meat into small pieces as it cooks.
- With the Instant Pot still on saute mode, cook the onion, celery, carrots, and garlic 4 to 5 minutes. Stir occasionally so the garlic doesn’t burn.
- Add the tomatoes, cabbage, beef stock and bay leaves; lock the lid cook high pressure 20 minutes.
- Let the steam release naturally. Remove bay leaves and stir in the balsamic vinegar.
Note: If you don’t have an Instant Pot or pressure cooker, follow the same directions as above in a large pot or Dutch oven. Once you reach step 4, instead of pressure cooking, let the mixture simmer in the pot until the cabbage is tender, about 30-40 minutes.
Recipe by Empty Nest Eats at https://emptynesteats.com/instant-pot-or-not-beef-and-cabbage-soup/