Lemony Lentil Soup with Chicken Sausage and Mustard Greens
Yield 6 servings
Inexpensive and quick-cooking lentils are paired with chicken sausage and mustard greens in this 30-minute, hearty healthy weeknight soup.
- 2 chicken sausage links
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ cup chopped carrots
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, mince or finely sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed and sorted
- 4 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2-4 cups mustard greens, washed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- In a skillet, cook chicken sausage according to package directions. Cool and slice.
- In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, and celery; cook and stir until onion is tender.
- Stir in garlic, oregano, pepper, and bay leaves. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in lentils and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until lentils tender but not mushy (30-60 minutes). See note below.
- Add the mustard greens and cooked sausage to the soup and simmer 5-10 minutes more, or until greens wilt and soup is hot.
- Discard the bay leaves and sir in the fresh lemon juice. Add salt and pepper to taste, if needed.
- Some people (like me) prefer lentils cooked “al dente” (just until tender) and some like them very soft. Cook the lentils to your liking but make sure both the vegetables and the lentils are tender.
- To lower the sodium content use salt-free broth or stock.
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 5 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 28 mg
Sodium 600 mg
Total Carbohydrates 25 g
Dietary Fiber 6 g
Protein 14 g
Recipe by Empty Nest Eats at https://emptynesteats.com/lemony-lentil-soup-with-chicken-sausage-and-mustard-greens/