Mushroom Lover's Chicken Piccata
Light and lemony, this dish breathes new life into (yawn) sometimes boring chicken breast.
- ½-3/4 pound portabella mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2-3 thinly sliced skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 9-11 oz.)
- ¼ teaspoon each salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder (for coating)
- 2-3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, for dredging
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1/3 cup chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons brined capers, lightly rinsed
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
- lemon zest – just a bit
- On a plate, stir together flour, salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder.
- Dredge chicken in flour/spice mixture and shake off excess.
- In a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat. When oil is hot, add mushrooms and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook mushrooms until brown, tossing occasionally. Remove mushrooms from pan.
- To the same pan, add 1 ½ tablespoon olive oil. When oil is hot, add chicken pieces and cook for 3 minutes.
- When chicken browns, flip and cook the other side for 3 minutes. Remove and transfer to plate.
- Into the pan add the wine, lemon juice, chicken stock and capers. Return to stove and bring to boil, scraping up brown bits from the pan for extra flavor.
- Return the chicken to the pan and simmer, uncovered for 5 minutes. Remove chicken to platter.
- Add 1 tablespoon butter to sauce and whisk vigorously.
- Pour sauce over chicken and garnish with chopped parsley.
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 18.5 g
Saturated Fat 3.1 g
Unsaturated Fat 3.1 g
Cholesterol 187 mg
Sodium 446 mg
Total Carbohydrates 17 g
Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
Sugars 1.6 g
Protein 61 g
Recipe by Empty Nest Eats at https://emptynesteats.com/mushroom-lovers-chicken-picatta/