Nutty Kale, Apple and Quinoa Salad with Agave-Lime Vinaigrette
Yield 4 servings
- 1 cup tri-color quinoa, dry
- 3 cups kale, cut into thin strips
- 1 tart apple, sliced
- ½ small red onion, finely minced
- ¼ cup chopped, toasted nuts any kind, i.e. pecans, pumpkin seeds, almonds etc.
- ¼ cup dried fruit i.e. chopped apricots, dried cranberries, dried cherries, etc.
- Agave-Lime Dressing (Below)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup (or honey if not vegan)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or canola oil
- Optional – ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro
- Make the dressing: Combine the first 7 ingredients (from lime juice – black pepper) in a small bowl. Whisk to combine. Slowly, 1 tablespoon at a time whisk in the olive oil and avocado oil until well-combined and creamy-looking. If using cilantro, stir it in now.
- Cook quinoa according to the directions above. Use 1 ¾ cups water. When quinoa is cooked, turn out onto a baking sheet, spread out on the pan to let the steam escape. Cool to room temperature.
- In a medium size bowl, combine the chopped kale, apple slices, red onion, toasted nuts/seeds, and dried fruit.
- Fold the cooked, cooled quinoa into the kale/apple mixture. Drizzle the dressing over the top and stir gently until well-combined. May be eaten immediately or stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Recipe by Empty Nest Eats at https://emptynesteats.com/nutty-apple-kale-and-quinoa-salad/