Spinach, Bacon and Pomegranate Salad with Glazed Pecans
Yield 2 servings
- CANDIED PECAN RECIPE (SEE BELOW)
- 1 cup pecans
- ½ of 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- CREAMY POMEGRANATE DRESSING RECIPE (SEE BELOW)
- 1/3 cup pomegranate seeds
- ¼ cup avocado oil or light olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 1 ½ teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- pinch of fine sea salt
- SALAD RECIPE SEE BELOW
- 6 slices cooked bacon
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- ¼ red onion, thinly slices
- 3-4 tablespoons crumbed feta or goat cheese
- 3-4 tablespoons pomegranate seeds (or whatever you have leftover from the dressing)
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- To make the nuts: In a small bowl whisk ½ of 1 egg white together with the vanilla until foamy. Pour over the pecans and toss until the nuts are coated. In another small bowl mix together the sugar, cinnamon, cardamom and salt. Sprinkle over the coated nuts and toss until nuts are well-coated. Spread coated nuts in a single layer onto a greased cookie sheet. Do not use parchment paper! Grease the pan. Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Remove from the oven then cool.
- To cook the bacon: On another cookie sheet, lay out six strips of bacon. Bake the bacon in the oven – with the nuts - until crisp (30-45 minutes), flipping the bacon halfway through the baking time. Place the cooked bacon on paper towel and blot. Crumble when cool.
- Make the dressing: In a blender or small food processor (I made mine in a Nutribullet) combine the pomegranate seeds, oil, honey, lemon juice, vinegar, Dijon mustard and salt. Blend until creamy.
- Spread the spinach leaves onto a serving plate (or make two salads, whichever you prefer). Add sliced red onion, feta or goat cheese, crumbled bacon, and pomegranate seeds. Top with Glazed Pecans.
- The serving for dressing is 2 tablespoons. This recipe makes more than that.
Recipe by Empty Nest Eats at https://emptynesteats.com/pomegranate-salad-with-bacon-and-cinnamon-glazed-pecans/