Red Lentil Tacos
Yield 4 tacos
No-fuss, perfectly spiced, ready-in-30, drool-worthy weeknight vegetarian tacos.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ cup (heaping) dried red lentils, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper
- Tortillas, 2 each
- Toppings of choice: lettuce, tomato, onion, avocado, cheese cilantro, Greek yogurt, salsa
- In a nonstick sauce pan, heat the olive until hot. Add onion and garlic and saute until tender.
- Add the lentils, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, and oregano; cook and stir for 1 minute. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the lentils are tender. (While the lentils are cooking, prep your toppings.)
- Uncover the lentils, test for tenderness, and cook for 6-8 minutes or until mixture has thickened. Mash lentils slightly. Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed.
- To make the tacos, layer lentils in four tortillas. Top with taco toppings.
- If you don’t have smoked paprika use regular paprika or increase the chili powder by ½ teaspoon.
- Nutrition analysis is for two tacos on corn tortillas, with chopped lettuce, tomato and onion, and 1 tablespoon per taco of each: shredded cheese, plain Greek yogurt and salsa.
- Make these vegan by using vegan cheese or omitting the cheese and Greek yogurt.
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 8 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 13 mg
Sodium 388 mg
Total Carbohydrates 41 g
Dietary Fiber 12 g
Protein 16 g
Recipe by Empty Nest Eats at https://emptynesteats.com/red-lentil-tacos/