Roasted Garlic and Root Vegetable Mash Up
Yield 4 servings
A come-in-from-the-cold root vegetable mash up featuring sweet potatoes, Yukon gold potatoes, rutabaga and roasted garlic.
- 1 large bulb garlic (containing 8-12 cloves) follow the directions for roasting or use 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder instead, if you must
- olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt, plus a little more for roasting the garlic
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 medium size sweet potato, cut into 1 ½ inch chunks (about 1 ¼ cups)
- 2 medium Yukon gold potatoes cut into 1 ½ inch chunks (about 1 ¼ cups)
- ½ small grapefruit-size rutabaga, cut into 1 ½ inch cups (about 1 cup)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus a little more for step 9 below
- ½ cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion (or 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh onion)
- Optional - chopped fresh herbs, i.e. parsley or thyme
- Optional – ½ teaspoon prepared horseradish
- Cut the pointy ends off of the garlic bulb, leaving the cloves intact. Put the bulb, cut side up on a piece of foil, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Wrap the clove tightly in the foil, so the olive oil doesn’t leak out, and bake at 400 F for 40-60 minutes or until the cloves are tender and jam-like. Cool the roasted garlic for ten minutes, then remove the garlic bulb from the foil packet and gently squeeze the roasted garlic into a small bowl. The garlic should now be soft and buttery in texture. Discard the papery outsides.
- While the garlic is roasting, bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Scrub the sweet potatoes and white potatoes and chop into 1 ½ inch cubes. Peel the rutabaga, cut it in half (save the other half for another use) and cut the half into the same size chunks as the sweet and white potatoes.
- Carefully add the sweet potato and rutabaga chunks to the boiling water. Bring the water back to a boil and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the white potato chunks and cook until all are tender (another 10-15 minutes).
- Drain the cooked veggies and put them back in the pot. Over medium heat, cook for a few minutes to dry up any excess water at the bottom of the pot.
- Transfer potato mixture to a large bowl.
- Add the roasted garlic cloves, butter, salt, pepper, sour cream, minced or fresh onion, and horseradish if using, to the potato mixture. Mash with a potato masher. Taste and adjust salt and pepper if needed.
- Garnish with fresh chopped herbs and a drizzle of melted butter.
- You can easily roast 3-4 bulbs of garlic in the same foil packet and keep the extras, once removed from the bulb, refrigerated for one week. Roasting time will vary for garlic, depending on the size of the cloves and the age of the garlic.
- Double this recipe if serving more than 2. You'll want the leftovers!
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 12 g
Saturated Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 34 mg
Sodium 342 mg
Total Carbohydrates 22 g
Dietary Fiber 3 g
Protein 3 g
Recipe by Empty Nest Eats at https://emptynesteats.com/roasted-garlic-and-root-vegetable-mash-up/