Savory Oats with Bacon, Eggs, and Roasted Tomatoes
Yield 2 servings
- 4 slices bacon, cooked crisp
- 1 ½ cups cherry or grape tomatoes, washed and dried
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 4 cloves fresh garlic, minced and divided in two
- salt and pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup quick oats (gluten-free if preferred)
- 1 cup low-salt chicken broth (regular or gluten free)
- ¾ cup water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider or white vinegar
- ½ diced avocado
- Garnishes: fresh parsley, chopped green onion, salt, and pepper
- Cook four slices of bacon and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the whole grape or cherry tomatoes, 2 teaspoons olive oil, 2 cloves of minced garlic, salt and pepper. Remove the tomatoes from the bowl and place on a baking sheet. Roast at 400 degrees until tomatoes begin to caramelize and brown, and the skin puckers and bursts (about 10 minutes.)
- Gently crack two eggs into two small bowls (one egg per bowl) being careful not to break the yolks.
- Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a medium size pot. Add diced onions and the remaining 2 minced garlic cloves and cook over medium heat until lightly browned. Add the chicken broth and water to pot the and stir well.
- Bring the onion/broth mixture to a boil; then stir in quick oats. Turn the heat down and cook over medium-low, stirring occasionally, until oats are cooked and tender (2-5 minutes).
- While oats are cooking, poach two eggs: Fill a medium size non-stick pot with 3-4 inches of water. Add 1 tablespoon vinegar to the water. Test the temperature of the water; it should be around 190 degrees and tiny bubbles should be rising to the top, all over the pot. Gently slide the eggs, one at a time into the water. To do this, bring the bowls, one at a time, to the water’s edge, then carefully immerse the bowl into the water and tip it, so the egg slides out. It’s o.k. if some water gets in the bowl. Set a timer for 4 minutes. When the timer goes off, remove the eggs with a slotted spoon and place them on a clean cloth or paper towel. Note: If you like your eggs runny, cook them less – about 3 ½ minutes.
- Build your bowls: Divide the savory oats into two bowls. Top with bacon, roasted tomatoes, and avocado. Carefully place the poached egg on top and season with fresh parsley, chopped green onions, salt and pepper.
Recipe by Empty Nest Eats at https://emptynesteats.com/savory-oats-with-bacon-eggs-and-roasted-tomatoes/