Slow Cooker Cinnamon Vanilla Applesauce
Yield 6 servings
- 8 medium Honeycrisp apples
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 4-6 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup apple cider
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 (3-inch) cinnamon sticks or 1-1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cardamom
- ¾ teaspoon ginger
- 1 vanilla bean (seeds scraped from pod) or 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Peel, core, and slice the apples.
- Place them in the slow cooker.
- Add the lemon juice, brown sugar, apple cider, salt, and cinnamon sticks (if using instead of ground cinnamon).
- Set slow cooker to low and cook for 3-6 hours.
- Stir apples occasionally; apples will slowly turn into “sauce”. Keep checking (and stirring) for the consistency you want. It may be cooked to your liking anywhere between 3 and 6 hours.
- When the sauce is the texture you prefer remove the cinnamon sticks and stir in the cardamom, ginger and vanilla bean or vanilla extract. If using ground cinnamon add it now.
- Turn off the slow cooker and use an immersion blender to blend (if you like smooth applesauce) or a wooden spoon to mix well (if you prefer to leave it chunky).
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Carbohydrates 35 g
Dietary Fiber 7 g
Sugars 200 g
Recipe by Empty Nest Eats at https://emptynesteats.com/slow-cooker-cinnamon-vanilla-applesauce/