Smashed Potatoes with Peas, Parmesan, Parsley and Pepper
Yield 4 servings
- 3 cups potatoes (any kind); washed, cubed, skins left on. (I used Red Skin potatoes.)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil* or melted butter
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons low-fat milk or chicken or vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- Place cubed potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring potatoes to a boil then reduce heat to a medium simmer and cook potatoes until tender, about 15-20 minutes depending on the variety of potato. Drain potatoes.
- While potatoes are cooking place frozen peas in a microwave safe dish with 2 tablespoons water. Cover and cook on high 2 minutes. Drain the water and set the peas aside.
- Place cooked potatoes in a large bowl and add olive oil or butter, grated Parmesan, milk or chicken broth, salt garlic powder, and pepper. Mash with a masher until desired consistency is reached.
- Gently fold in fresh parsley and peas. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- If you have some good flavored olive oil tucked away in your pantry or refrigerator that you've forgotten about, such as Rosemary or Garlic-Mushroom, bring it out and substitute it for the olive oil or melted butter.
Recipe by Empty Nest Eats at https://emptynesteats.com/smashed-potatoes-with-parmesan-peas-parsley-and-pepper/