Spaghetti with Spicy Clam Sauce
Yield 3 servings
Turn up the heat and the flavor on this quick to fix pasta dish with briny, budget-conscious clams, already-prepared Arrabbiata sauce, and a generous pinch of red pepper flakes.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- generous pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 large or 2 medium-size garlic cloves, minced
- 6 ounces dry spaghetti noodles (I used Barilla Gluten free corn and rice spaghetti that's why these noodles look a bit yellow)
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can no-salt diced tomatoes
- 1 (6.5 oz.) can, minced clams (drain and save the juice)
- 1 cup of prepared Arrabbiata-style spaghetti sauce (see Trending in the EN Kitchen)
- 3 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- ½ fresh lemon, juiced; plus zest from 1/2 lemon
- (optional) Parmesan cheese, grated
- In a medium size skillet, over medium heat, heat the olive oil until hot. Add the onion, red pepper flakes, and garlic and cook until tender (about 5 minutes).
- While you are preparing the sauce, bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta according to directions. Drain when finished cooking.
- To the onion mixture, add the diced tomatoes with juice, clams (without juice) and fresh lemon juice. Simmer (do not boil) another 5 minutes.
- Add the prepared spaghetti sauce, ¼ cup reserved clam juice, lemon zest, and fresh parsley (save a little for the top). Simmer (again, no boiling!) 2-5 minutes more or until hot.
- Ladle the sauce on top of the cooked pasta.
- Top with a little more chopped parsley and (optional) Parmesan cheese.
- This recipes makes three generous servings. Eat it for dinner then bring the leftovers for lunch!
- If clams are really your thing, use 2 cans of clams.
Recipe by Empty Nest Eats at https://emptynesteats.com/spaghetti-with-spicy-clam-sauce/