Sweet and Spicy Southwestern Pork Chili
Yield 6 servings
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup beef or chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can chili-ready diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15.5 oz.) can pinto, black, kidney or red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can corn, drained
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dark molasses
- ¼ cup green onion, chopped
- In a large pot or Dutch oven heat the oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add the chopped onion and pepper and cook until just tender and the onion is slightly brown.
- Add the pork and cook until the meat is browned (10-15 minutes).
- Add the garlic, tomatoes with juice, tomato paste, tomato sauce, broth, beans, corn, chipotle chili powder, chili powder, cumin, and salt. Stir well.
- Partially cover the pot (about ¾ of the way) with a lid and simmer on medium low for 30-45 minutes. Taste and adjust salt and spices to taste.
- Sprinkle with chopped green onion and serve.
- To lower the sodium use salt-free or low-sodium canned beans, corn, diced tomatoes and tomato sauce.
- Top with additional toppings if desired: fresh lime, crushed tortilla chips, shredded cheese, Greek Yogurt, or fresh chopped cilantro.
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 18 g
Saturated Fat 6 g
Cholesterol 71 mg
Sodium 610 mg
Total Carbohydrates 33 g
Dietary Fiber 6 g
Protein 26 g
Recipe by Empty Nest Eats at https://emptynesteats.com/sweet-and-smoky-southwestern-pork-chili/