Sweet and Sour Turkey Meatball Dinner for Two
Yield 2 large servings
Tender juicy meatballs simmered with colorful peppers and pineapple in a quick-to-fix sweet and sour sauce. Healthy and satisfying.
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1 cup canned pineapple chunks packed in their own juice; reserve the juice
- ¾ pound lean ground turkey
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup Panko breadcrumbs (I used gluten free)
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger or 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce (I used gluten free)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, crushed or ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup peppers, any color, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 large onion, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped green onion
- optional - 1 ½ cups cooked brown rice
- ¾ cup pineapple juice (use the juice from the can)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 ½ tablespoons dark brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger or 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce (plus more if needed)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ tablespoons corn starch
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Lightly spray a jelly roll pan or a cookie sheet (with sides) with non-stick cooking spray.
- Drain the pineapple and reserve the juice.
- In a medium size bowl combine the ground turkey, egg, breadcrumbs, ginger or ginger powder, soy sauce, kosher salt, dried parsley, fresh garlic or garlic powder, and cayenne pepper. Mix well.
- Using your hands, roll the turkey/breadcrumb mixture into small, ping-pong size or smaller meatballs (about 12 total). Place the meatballs on a cookie sheet and bake at 375 for 20-30 minutes. flipping once during cooking, until cooked through.
- While the meatballs bake, heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet. Saute the peppers and onions in oil until just tender.
- In a small bowl whisk together the ¾ cup pineapple juice, water, brown sugar, ginger, soy sauce, vinegar, corn starch and red pepper flakes until smooth. Pour over the cooked peppers and onions and heat over medium heat until sauce thickens and is hot and bubbly. Carefully fold in the cooked meatballs and canned pineapple, stir, and heat until hot.
- Taste an add more soy sauce if desired. Garnish with chopped green onions and served over hot cooked rice.
- If desired, double the meatball portion of this recipe and freeze the extras for another meal.
- Make this recipe gluten free by using gluten free soy sauce and gluten free Panko breadcrumbs
Recipe by Empty Nest Eats at https://emptynesteats.com/sweet-and-sour-turkey-meatball-dinner-for-two/