Ditch the bottled mixes and bring this fresh refreshing cocktail back with an updated lighter, healthier version of a quintessential springtime favorite.
Today is Mother’s Day, and the first Mother’s Day without my mom, pictured here. 🙁
She was an amazing lady who taught me so many things, many of which I was too stubborn to acknowledge until she passed away last year. Then, miraculously all that knowledge and all those lessons popped into my head all at once and it became crystal (and somewhat painfully) clear that mom was right. Funny how life works that way isn’t it?
Thank you mom.
I don’t have much of a plan today. I’ll probably share a good breakfast with Mr. EN, go on a few walks and maybe a hike in the State park, chat with my kids over FaceTime, call my sister and brother, read a few chapters of Girl, Woman, Other by Bernardine Evaristo, and relax on the deck (weather permitting with one (or two) of these icy, lime-spiked, Strawberry-Banana Daiquiris.
These Fresh Strawberry-Banana Daiquiris are…
- Packed with real fruit – almost one cup of fruit per daiquiri
- Loaded with REAL strawberry flavor
- Not too sweet
- Tart in a good way
- Super high in Vitamin C and potassium (Hey, if you’re going to have a cocktail why not drink a whole serving of fruit while you at it!)
- Spiked with just the right amount of rum
- Just as good without the rum – and good for you too!
- Use a frozen banana. I freeze all my “almost too brown to eat” bananas for muffins, smoothies and now… these daquiries.
- Fresh not bottled. I buy limes and lemons every week. They last a long time and fresh beats bottled every time. Use fresh lime juice in this recipe.
- What kind of rum? I used Bacardi light rum but just about any kind of rum would work. If you like drinks extra citrusy try a lemon- or lime-spiked rum.
What are all you mom’s doing today? Do you have a favorite Mom’s Day cocktail? I hope you are treated like the queen you are today.
Peace, love and good eats, from our Empty Nest to yours.
Trending in the Empty Nest Kitchen: fresh limes, always
Mr. ENs take on this recipe: This time Mr. EN doesn’t have a “take”; he does not drink alcohol.
Strawberry Banana Daquiris
Yield 2 servings
- 16-18 fresh large strawberries, washed and sliced
- 1 frozen banana
- 4 ounces of rum
- Juice from one whole lime
- 1-2 tablespoon honey, agave syrup, or sugar
- ½ cup ice
- Combine everything in a blender, Magic Bullet, or smoothie maker and blend on high until frothy. Once blended taste and add more sweetener if desired.
- I used a Magic Bullet.
- Next time I will freeze my strawberries for a few hours before making this cocktail – especially if it’s hot outside. That will make the drink thicker and icier.