I have to say, I’m a little embarrassed to post another carrot recipe. However, truth be told, Mr. EN and I have been stockpiling carrots, along with onions, celery and garlic because for me, most dishes start with one or a combination of all of these tremendously versatile workhouse veggies. Last week, we went a little overboard and bought A LOT of carrots which brings me to this Spicy Instant Pot Carrot Soup.
Now before you get to thinking, “Soup? It’s almost summer for God’s sake,” I urge every naysayer to TRY THIS SOUP. It’s so delicious whether you eat it for lunch alongside a sandwich, as an appetizer before a light dinner on the deck, or as a main dish: just a big bowl of soup with a slice of crusty bread this Spicy Carrot Soup has you covered – I promise!
This Spicy Carrot Soup is ….
- Packed with Vitamin A which is terrific for good vision and fighting infections
- Velvety smooth
- Creamy and coconutty
- Spicy – just the right amount heat and ginger
- High fiber
And…. it’s really easy to make!
I’ve included both an Instant Pot version and a stovetop version so basically, if you have a pot, you have no reason not to make this Spicy Carrot Soup! What are you waiting for?
Peace, love, and good eats from our Empty Nest to yours.
Mr. ENs take on this recipe: “I hardly ever choose to eat cooked carrots but, I really love this soup. Skip the cilantro for me please.”
Trending in the Empty Nest Kitchen: Native Forest Organic Coconut Milk purchased at our local Meijer Store
Spicy Carrot Soup (Instant Pot or Not)
Yield 8-10 servings
- 8-10 large carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 (14-oz) can full fat coconut milk (Do not use the coconut milk found in the dairy case or coconut cream in a can)
- 1 ½ cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce, Sriracha, Sambal Oelek, or red curry paste
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh ginger chopped, ginger paste in a tube, or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Optional toppings - chopped cilantro, toasted coconut and/or toasted nuts for topping
- Instant Pot. Place all ingredients, except toppings, in the Instant Pot. Set to cook for 15 minutes on high pressure. When done, let the Instant Pot naturally release pressure for 15 minutes. Then, manually release any remaining steam. Carefully remove the lid then puree with an immersion blender until smooth. Taste, then season with salt (about 1 teaspoon). Add toppings just before serving.
- Stove Top: In a large stockpot, saute the chopped onions and garlic with a little oil until soft. Add the carrots, coconut milk, broth, ginger, and chili garlic sauce. Simmer until the carrots are soft. Add the peanut butter and stir until melted. Blend, using an immersion blender, until smooth. Taste, season with salt, and add toppings of your choice.