Don’t ask me why I made a smoothie today. If I was a betting gal, I’d probably bet on the fact that most people who live in Southwest Michigan had a hot breakfast today, like eggs and toast or a steaming hot bowl of oatmeal. Nope, not me. I woke up this morning craving this Carrot Cake Smoothie.
It’s been a few months since I hauled out my Nutribullet. I usually don’t like cold drinks when the temperature outside is cold (and today is FREEZING COLD) but you know something? Blame it on my age and “the change” – Today I woke up craving something icy-cold, satisfying, and sweet like dessert; and this Carrot Cake Smoothie is all that and more.
This smoothie is….
- Loaded with Vitamin A (a whopping 527% of the recommended percent daily value) which comes mainly from the carrot juice. Don’t knock it if you haven’t tried it. Carrot juice is so sweet and good. I used Bolthouse brand carrot juice; which you can easily find in the refrigerated section of many large and small grocery stores.
- Naturally sweetened. There isn’t a trace of added sugar in this smoothie! The carrot juice, pineapple and dates are plenty sweet enough on their own.
- A good source of heart-healthy Omega 3 fats due to the addition of ground flax seeds which also add fiber and flavor.
What about you? Are you craving something out of the ordinary for this time of year? Try this easy, healthy, Carrot Cake Smoothie.
Peace, love and good eats; from our empty nest to yours.
Trending in the EN Kitchen: Bolthouse Carrot Juice purchased at our local Wal-Mart store
Mr. EN’s Take on This Recipe: Sorry readers, no “take” this time. Mr. EN didn’t try it; I didn’t even offer!
Carrot Cake Smoothie - No Added Sugar
Yield 1 serving
- 1 frozen banana, peeled and cut into chunks
- ½ cup carrot juice, I used Bolthouse brand
- ¼ cup canned or frozen unsweetened pineapple
- 2 teaspoons ground flax seeds
- 3-4 small dates
- 5-6 ice cubes
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice or a small dash each: cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger
- Optional – unsweetened coconut flakes for garnish
- Combine all in a blender, NutriBullet, or food processer.
- Blend on high until smooth.
- Drink immediately.
If your blender is not very powerful you may have trouble grinding up the dates; if so, your smoothie might be a little chunky like mine, which is perfectly fine.
Serving Size 1 smoothie
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 6 mg
Sodium 148 mg
Total Carbohydrates 65 g
Dietary Fiber 7 g
Protein 9 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Dick sammis says
Chris. I love this carrot cake smoothie idea!!! Can’t wait to try it. Not sure whether I’ll brave the weather today for ingredients but this is on my list of things to try!! Love your creativity!!!
Hope MR EN liked it. You do know at work he often takes create for some of your recipes. 🤨
Haha. I know, weather is awful. Mr EN didn’t even try this one!