Today I thought of ice cream at least ten times. I’m really not sure why because honestly, I am NOT an ice cream lover. In fact, I’m lactose intolerant so most things dairy-based including milk, ice cream and several different kinds of cheese make my stomach squirm. Still, today I couldn’t wait to get out of work to go home and make this 5-minute, super-healthy Cherry Vanilla Nice Cream – which isn’t really ice cream at all! What a way to beat the heat!
This Cherry Vanilla Nice Cream is…
- Ultra-creamy – without containing any cream at all!
- Studded with Michigan cherries, which are inflammation fighters
- Low in calories and fat
- Rich with vanilla flavor
- Naturally sweetened
- So easy to make
Once you learn the basics of making “nice cream” (frozen bananas, a little non-dairy milk, some flavoring, and maybe a teeny pinch of salt) there are hundreds of different flavor combos you can create.
What Nice Cream combos sound good to you? How about…
- Strawberry Banana
- Mint Chocolate Chip
- Dark Chocolate and Coconut
- Banana Nut Bread (banana, toasted pecans, cinnamon)
- Pina Colada (canned coconut milk, pineapple)
- Very Berry (Banana, blueberry and raspberry)
- Banana Green Tea
- Banana Café Latte (banana, vanilla bean, espresso powder)
What’s your favorite ice cream flavor? Do you think you could turn it into “nice cream”? I’d love to hear what you think.
Peace, love and good eats, from our empty nest to yours.
Trending in the EN Kitchen: Baker’s Imitation Vanilla Flavoring (still one of the best for imitation flavoring and a good value too!)
Mr. EN’s Take on This Recipe: “Perfect for my diet. It really feels and tastes like real ice cream!
Cherry Vanilla Nice Cream
Yield 2 Servings
- 2 frozen bananas, cut into slices
- 10 pitted, fresh sweet Michigan cherries or 1/3 cup frozen cherries, thawed and drained
- 2-4 tablespoons plant-based milk (I used lite vanilla soy milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
- Optional - tiny pinch of salt
- Place frozen banana slices, pitted cherries, vanilla flavoring and optional salt in a food processor or high speed blender. Add 2 tablespoons milk of choice and blend on high until smooth. If the “nice cream” is too chunky add a little more milk and blend until desired consistency is reached.
- Serve immediately (as soft serve, pictured here) or freeze in a covered container and consume within two days.
Serving Size 1 cup
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 1 g
Sodium 85 mg
Total Carbohydrates 39 g
Dietary Fiber 5 g
Protein 3 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.