Does anyone know what’s going on with the weather this year? Sheesh! 35 degrees then 80 in a two-day span? Just gotta love Michigan!
Yesterday was warm (thank goodness!) and Mr. EN and I felt like something light, summery, and fruity for dinner. Thumbs up to this Fruity Chicken and Quinoa Salad!
It’s so simple to make – only 7 easy-to-come by ingredients. And, because my new obsession is meal prepping (future posts on that to come) I already had the chicken baked and the quinoa cooked ahead of time. Score!
This salad is…
- Calorie-controlled (less than 400 calories per serving!)
- Packed with lean protein due to the chicken AND the quinoa
- The chicken: Use cut up, skinless rotisserie chicken or already-baked chicken breast. About 4-6 oz per person.
- The quinoa: To make perfect grains that are light, separated, and fluffy (not mushy and stuck together) use 1 ½ parts broth or water to 1 part quinoa. Rinse the quinoa first to get rid of the sometimes bitter outer coating.
- The dressing: Experiment, taste-test, and use the amount of dressing that is right for you. To control calories I err on the side of “less is more”.
Are you looking to add an easy, healthy, 30-minute meal to your weeknight menu? Give this Fruity Chicken and Quinoa Salad a try. I know you’ll like it!
Peace, love, and good eats, from our Empty Nest to yours.
Trending in the Empty Nest Kitchen: Marzetti Simply Dressed Lemon Vinaigrette
Fruity Chicken and Quinoa Salad
Yield 2 servings
- 10-12 oz. cooked chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 ½ cups quinoa, cooked and cooled
- ½ cup pineapple tidbits, drained
- 2-3 tablespoons diced red onion
- 2-3 tablespoons Marzetti Simply Dressed Lemon Vinaigrette
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, washed and patted dry
- Lemon Dressing Salad greens with herbs such as Earthbound Organic, Bright Herb Spring Mix
- In a large bowl, carefully toss together the cooked chicken, cooled quinoa, pineapple tidbits, diced onion, salad greens and Marzetti lemon dressing. Toss until well-coated.
- Gently stir in the blueberries. Serve immediately.