Yesterday it stopped raining (finally) and when Mr. EN got home from work, we both decided to make dinner as quick as possible so we could spend some long-awaited time outside. I had already defrosted some ground lamb which I bought locally from a friend (thank you Scott!) and, after a quick inspection of my fridge contents, I found I had everything I needed, right at my fingertips, to make this earthy, herby, delicious Middle Eastern Salad with Garlic-Yogurt Dressing.
This Middle Eastern Salad with Garlic-Yogurt Dressing is….
- Loaded with vitamins and minerals – just look at all those colors
- A good source of fiber – due to all the veggies
- Calorie controlled – no puffy pita this time!
- High fiber
- Packed with flavor from the fresh herbs, garlic and Zaatar
- Protein-packed because of the lamb and the yogurt
- Light – a nice filling, but not too filling meal for a summer night
And, bonus: This was so easy to make!
If you don’t have lamb or the fresh herbs mentioned don’t let that stop you! You can make this Middle Eastern Salad with Garlic-Yogurt Dressing salad with ground turkey, beef or chicken and any combo of fresh herbs you have and enjoy. I hope you try it.
Trending in the EN Kitchen – Za’atar, purchased loose at a Middle Eastern Food store but you can also buy McCormick brand Za’atar, at most large grocery stores
Peace, love, and good eats from our Empty Nest to yours.
Middle Eastern Salad with Garlic-Yogurt Dressing
Yield 2 servings
- ½ pound ground lamb
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons Za’atar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 clovers garlic, minced or crush, divided
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- Juice from ½ small or ¼ large lemon
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs (parsley, mint, basil, dill, oregano)
- 4-6 cups salad greens
- 1 cup diced cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped English cucumber
- ¼ cup sliced red onion, or pickled onions
- 3 tablespoons feta or goat cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a non-stick pan. Add the ground lamb, one clove minced garlic, Za’atar, ¼ teaspoon salt, and pepper. Cook until brown and crumbly. Drain the fat.
- While the lamb is cooking, in a small bowl mix together: yogurt, one clove crushed garlic, fresh lemon juice, ¼ teaspoon salt, and 2 tablespoons of the fresh herbs.
- Assemble the salad on plates: greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, feta or goat cheese, and remaining 2 tablespoons fresh herbs. Spoon the cooked lamb and top.
- Top with yogurt dressing. Serves 2.