Are you as happy and I am that it’s officially “tomato time”? In August, there’s not a vegetable I enjoy more than a garden fresh, juicy-sweet, homegrown tomato. Thankfully, this year Mr. EN and I have boatloads of them.
This quick-to-fix dish, Pasta with Blistered Tomatoes and Crispy Parmesan Breadcrumbs, is fuss-free simple and 100% delicious. So next time you head out to your garden to pick some of these little beauties don’t just think “salad”. Be sure to set a side a few handfuls to make this easy recipe.
The Nutrition 411
This dish is…
- Packed with vitamin C! One serving provides over 300% of the vitamin C your body needs in a day.
- Loaded with lycopene, a photochemical that may be a cancer fighter.
- A good source of fiber if you use whole grain pasta. Any kind of pasta will do.
- A good source of healthy fat thanks to the olive oil.
- Any kind of small tomato will do. We used two different kinds/colors of cherry tomatoes from our garden. I have no idea what variety they are!
- Don’t rush the roasting. Have patience and wait until the tomatoes blister and burst.
- Buy pre-seasoned bread crumbs. This is not a must-do, but it does make the recipe easier. If you only have plain Panko bread crumbs season with ½-3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning and a dash of salt.
- Elevate with fresh herbs. If you have any extra fresh herbs, such as basil, thyme or parsley, sprinkle a little on top, after you’ve finished assembling the dish.
Are you ready to blister your first tomato? Don’t let the short ingredient list fool you! There’s a mountain of sticky-sweet, quintessentially-August, tomatoey goodness in this Pasta with Blistered Tomatoes and Crispy Parmesan Breadcrumbs dish to go around.
Peace, love and good eats; from our empty nest to yours.
Trending in the EN Kitchen. Progresso Italian-Style Panko Breadcrumbs
Pasta with Blistered Tomatoes and Crispy Parmesan Breadcrumbs
Yield 2 servings
- 2 cups whole cherry or grape tomatoes (any kind or color)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 6 oz. pasta, any style
- ¼ cup Panko bread crumbs, Italian Style
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a medium bowl, coat the whole tomatoes with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the tomatoes on a cookie sheet and roast in the oven for 10 minutes, until they are blistered and begin to “pop”.
- In a second bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, granulated garlic, 1 tablespoon olive oil and a little salt and pepper. Spread out the mixture on another cookie sheet.
- Bake the breadcrumbs until they just start to brown. Stir in the grated cheese and continue to bake a few more minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven.
- While the tomatoes and bread crumbs are cooking, cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain the pasta, saving back a few ounces of the pasta cooking water.
- Toss the cooked pasta with the remaining 2 tablespoons high quality olive oil, the blistered tomatoes and all their lovely juices, and a tablespoon or two of the pasta cooking water.
- Top with the crispy breadcrumbs and sprinkle with the chopped basil and extra Parmesan.